Quarterly Meeting at the AMERIgreen Biodiesel Blender
The CDCC’s Fall Meeting was held on Thursday, September 19 at the AMERIgreen Biodiesel Blending Facility at the Port of Rensselaer, NY. We were joined on the tour by students from Hudson Valley Community College enrolled in an Alternative Fuels course. Seth Obetz, owner, guided the group through what Biodiesel is, how its made, why him and his family have invested so much in it and of course, the blending system they constructed in Rensselaer. Seth was a great host and even let the group taste some biodiesel!
Biodiesel has been on the decline in the Capital Region since Executive Order 142, which required state agencies and authorities to purchase and utilize biodiesel in their fleets, was rescinded. We hope that this new facility and some extra outreach we can re-introduce local fleets to the benefits of biodiesel.
Some quick facts:
- Biodiesel is a renewable alternative fuel produced from a wide range of new or used vegetable oils and animal fats.
- Biodiesel is non-toxic (You can drink it, ask Seth!), biodegradable, and renewable.
- Biodiesel is a 100% American fuel produced right here in the USA.
- Biodiesel contains 3.2 times the amount of energy it takes to produce it.
- Biodiesel burns cleaner than regular petroleum fuel (yay for improved air quality!).
- Biodiesel engines are cleaner and require less maintenance!
- Biodiesel is non-toxic and much less combustible than petroleum so you might see a bio-diesel tank truck driving through the tunnels and bridges other fuel trucks cannot.
AMERIgreen is based in Lancaster, PA. If you are interested in finding out more about the blender or purchasing biodiesel (B5, B10, B20 & B100 are all available!) contact Seth at sobetz AT amerigreen DOT com.
Thanks to all who were able to attend. If you missed it you can view photos from the tour on Facebook.